Instrumenting the future
Supporting the technological growth of our economy with world leading measurement techniques.
To celebrate 50 years as a Livery Company, the Scientific Instrument Makers are organising a forward–looking one day event to consider the role of scientific instruments in meeting some of the big challenges of the next 50 years in health, energy and transport.
Tuesday 11th February 2014 10.15-19.00
Glaziers Hall, 9 Montague Close, London SE1 9DD
10:30 First session
Keynote: Professor William Nuttall, Open University, Title of talk TBC
- Dr Malcolm McCulloch, University of Oxford, "Sustainable Energy Technologies"
- Dr Paul Wright, NPL, "Instrumentation for Smart Grids"
- Professor Phil Thomas, City University, "Emergency Response to Nuclear Accidents"
13:30 Second session
Health and medicine
Keynote: Professor Ron Summers, Loughborough University, Title of talk TBC
- Professor Stuart Green, University of Birmingham, "Proton therapy"
- Professor Steve Davies, University of Oxford, "Instrumentation for regenerative medicine"
- Professor Alison Noble, University of Oxford, Title of talk TBC
16:00 Third session
Keynote: Professor Roderick Smith, Chief Scientific Advisor, Department for Transport, Title of talk TBC
- Mr Alan Bond, Reaction Engines Ltd. Title of talk TBC
- Professor Dave Rugg, Rolls-Royce, Title of talk TBC
- Dr Alex Mouzakitis, Jaguar Land Rover, Title of talk TBC
18:00 Networking drinks reception
The Company had decided on a nominal booking fee of £20 to cover lunch and refreshments at the drinks reception.
Why a different website?
In anticipation of its 50th anniversary, WCSIM is updating the look and functionality of its website. Whilst the site is not yet ready for launch, the ability to take payments online - which the existing site cannot do - is ready. Hence, we are using this part of the new site in advance to support this meeting. Click on the Coat of Arms to visit the current WCSIM website.